Wednesday, June 17, 2009

5 Things


So yes, I must admit I have been feeling yucky lately. You could even say I've been under the weather. I didn't use to put much stock in Seasonal Affective Disorder, but am now a convert and believer. It's winter here, it's freakin' cold (though not snowing), and for a girl from the Tropics, it's too much for this body to handle.

The US National Library of Medicine notes that "some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods. They may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up."

Well gosh and darn it, you don't say. No wonder I've been stockpiling on chocolate and stuffing myself with rice and bread.

I figure it's time to celebrate eve
n the smallest things and not focus too much on how bitchy I've been feeling. So here's a quick post on 5 things from this week to celebrate:

#1. Santiago actually went to the potty for a poop-poop! The FIRST TIME EVER EVER. Given I've had recurring nightmares about this for some time now, I reckon a glass of wine is in order. My headstrong, temperamental toddler put up NO fuss - he only required that he bring his favorite toy car to the loo. You can bet when that little turd (the ACTUAL bowel movement, not my son!!) swished into the water, the heavens opened and a shaft of warm sunlight peeked through the crap that was my day (no pun intended.) Now if I can only get him to do this with #1, we'll be SWEEEEET.

#2. Both my kids have actually been in bed by 7pm for a week now, ASLEEP. I slap on Kenny Loggins' bedtime album and by the time we get to Pooh Corner, it's lights out (Thank you Kenny. I thought you ceased to rock, but apparently , you can still BRING IT.) The only downside to these early nights: Pilar is up by 5am, and Santiago follows shortly after. Can a mother never cut a sleep-in break??? sigh.

3. NO SWINE FLU (touch wood!!) This despite being in contact with the contact of a possible confirmed case. So far, only sniffles and a bit of a cough among us all. This I can deal with. Actual pandemic............ not so much. May the disease-free streak continue...please God?!

4. Comprehensive grocery bills for under $150. Hey, when you're living on one income and a little supplement on the side, this is HUGE. We're talking major achievement here for a couple of self-confessed (former) profligate spenders. I do wish I could say we'd won the lotto....that will be in the post for next week's things to celebrate (COME ON UNIVERSE - COMPLY!! I swear I'll donate generously....)

5. The increase in our exercise. We now walk everywhere (well, almost.) Which is good, as Jaime's doctor's already warned us about his cholesterol levels.

So there you have it. I initially named this post "10 things" but now can't be bothered to think of 5 more. I hope you've got 5 things (or more) to celebrate this week - it ain't over yet!

Til next time. cheers.

4 comments:

Kitchen 37B on June 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM said...

awwww! well good on you. glad you've got 5 things to be happy about. and yay for the poop accomplishment! he's bright boy :)

Unknown on June 18, 2009 at 2:03 PM said...

Good on you, girl!!! Keep on doing that - focusing on those things in life that make you happy - and in no time spring will be here! We'll just need to keep the fire going until then...
Well done to Santiago, and good luck with making the loo his Poop-ular choice!

Off the Beaten Mommy Track on June 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM said...

@kitchen37B - ah yes, there's gotta be at least 5 things, I reckon! unfortunately there hasn't been a repeat of poop poop in the potty - mommy's just too slow!!!

Off the Beaten Mommy Track on June 22, 2009 at 1:56 PM said...

@ronit - Hey ronit! i love the way you've said that...i reckon you must start your own blog there has to be a lot you can share that I'd love to hear about!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

Off the Beaten Mommy Track Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Art Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template